About Me

My photo
I have many roles in this life I live. I am the wife of an incredible man, Daniel. He is more than I could have ever asked for in a husband. We have been married for 7 years this winter! I am Mommy to two little boys. Clay and Max AKA Bubba and little bear! Clay is in kindergarten. He is my tender hearted child who will laugh with you and cry with you. Max on the other hand is our strong willed child. He demands things his way. He has been a fighter since he was born. He has a rare condition called Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome. He stops breathing when he falls asleep. He has a trach and is put on a vent at nap time and night time. I am a nurse by necessity. Nothing stops this child. Our life may look normal from the outside looking in, however it is far from it on the inside looking out. I love our life though. Some things I would most definitely change, most things I wouldn't.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Our Macaroni and Cheese :)

So our boys love love love Macaroni and Cheese! Daniel and I like it but don't share the love as the boys do. I ran across this recipe that sounded more like an adult version of Mac-n-Cheese so we decided to try it and boy was it a hit! I tweaked it a bit and this has become the Brook's Mac-n-Cheese! Enjoy :)


Mac and Cheese
1 stick of unsalted butter
6-8 slices of bread, crust removed, cut into cubes
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 oz block sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
8 oz block vermont white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 pound elbow macaroni

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 11x9 baking dish. Set aside. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and pour over the cubed bread crumbs and mix till bread is evenly coated. Set aside.


Cook the macaroni according to the box however only cook them about 7-8 minutes. Drain and set aside until you are ready for them.


Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons in a skillet (larger one with higher sides) over medium heat. When the butter bubbles, add the flour. Cook whisk together for 1 minute.


While whisking , slowly pour in the hot milk, a little at a time to keep the mixture smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens up, about 8-10 minutes.



Remove the pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, pepper, cayenne pepper, and all the shredded cheese except 3/4 a cup for top of casserole. Stir till cheese is melted.


 Pour the macaroni into the cheese mixture.

Pour the mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover with the breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.


Serve warm and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment